Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I'm home...

So I'm really sorry that I haven't been as diligent as I probably should have been, but nevertheless, I tried! On my way back from Italy my flight from JFK to SFO got canceled (NEVER FLY DELTA!!) and then I got transferred to fly an American flight to LAX and then United to San Luis Obispo. Well, of course, my checked bag got lost and took 8 DAYS to get back to me....grumble grumble...the wound is still fresh. Anywho, I had my ice box for my meds, my shoulder bag, and my carry-on. Well, after staying up all night (my flight was supposed to leave at 8pm, and I didn't leave the terminal to go to another terminal to catch my flight until 4:00am) I went over to American and went through security. I got pulled over because my small bottle of aceto balsamico was thought to be a small bottle of wine. TSA is ridiculous, they pulled me aside, (mind you, at this point, I have gone through 3 OTHER CHECKPOINTS and this hasn't been a problem) and told me that they had to look at my bottle. My bag just about exploded when she opened it. I was freaking out, on the inside, because I was not about to leave a bottle of balsamic vinegar that cost me 25 euros (got it for 20 cuz I befriended the owner) and has been aged for 15 years!! Luckily, by the grace of God truly, it was JUST the right size. 100ml. I've never been so happy to see a measurement whose quantity I don't  fully understand!!! So after sleeping some on the floor of the terminal at the gate I was supposed to be at, I then started to board the plane. Oh yeah, just prior to that I went up and asked the woman if I would have an issue with my three bags (I had gotten clearance to travel with my meds in an icebox and that my bag would not be checked or get counted as three, because it was a medical reason) and the woman said that I had to consolidate. So I did. And when I came back, she said I had to check my carry on, because it was too large. I told her that it was smaller before, and that I didn't have any problems with it flying from Pisa to JFK, but since she made me combine them, I had to move things from my shoulder bag and put them in my carry on. She then insisted on making me check my bag. At this point, I was beyond exhaustion, I had been up for like 30 hours of constant travel and hadn't eaten something legit for that long, and I just started balling. I thought to myself, "yeah, you can feel bad for me ma'am. Deal with it!" So in any case, I had some fragile things that I took out of my bag and then checked my bag. On the plane, I fell asleep and then woke up with the nightmare that I wasn't on the right flight. I turned aroudn the man sitting behind me, he was the husband of a young couple that was supposed to be on my other JFK to SFO flight, and asked "where is this plane going?" He smiled and answered "LAX." I latered realized how weird I must have seemed and then explained myself. He laughed and completely understood. We later chatted in the LAX terminal, which in itself was an ordeal, and I learned that there were, kind of, celebrating their 1 year anniversary, and that they are expecting their first child! A very neat couple that reminded me of some friends, Mike and Myla, back home. At that point, I just wanted to get home. I boarded the plane, and was extremely impatient. I managed to fall asleep some so the time passed more quickly.

Once at the SLO airport, mom greeted me with a big hug and a kiss. I waited for my bags to arrive, but alas, they were lost. Luckily, the one that I checked taht was a carry on, was delivered later that day. But the other one took 8 days to get to me. Ridiculous. Never fly Delta. Ever.

Well, it's late and I'm super tired. I'm going to go to bed. I hope this kind of got me caught up. As for rightnow, I'm just fooling around finding cool things to do at MIT (not hard at all, the hardest part is figuring how I'm going to do all the cool things, like scuba diving and Israeli folk danc, say what??). Oh yeah, I'm staying at McCormick, an all girls dorm, and sadly, not East Campus. That was a major disappointment, but I think God works in wonderfully mysterious ways. It turns out that I'm in a "coffin" single....that has the dimensions of 9x12!!! :D I'm super happy. Furthermore, I am right next to the kitchens. Some people have already started asking me about cooking and baking lessons! I feel like this is going to be a very good place for me. I still love EC, always will, but McCormick is growing fonder in my eyes every day. Just goes to show, all we got to do for the best life possible is truly "let go, and let God." I do believe this ends my Italia trip, and now begins my MIT life! Ta ta to all! Ciao ciao.


  1. May you have a grand adventure and a wonderful education(I am sure you will) during this next season of your life, my lovely daughter! Embrace and enjoy!

  2. Welcome home! I just want you to know that I feel the same way about DAL that you do. as a matter of fact some time ago I predicted that they would go out of business. Too bad they are still here, I never fly them unless it is absolutely necessary, and I have been working in commercial aviation since 1957-1999. customer service is not what it used to be. TSA compounds the problem.To be fair in the '60's it was a great airline. Looks like you have settled in to your living facility at MIT, I'm glad your trip to Italia was enjoyable. I loved your notes and photos and the culinary tour. Carol and I are very proud of you and hope that God grants you the wisdom to continue the same philosophy to live the rest of your life as you have until now. Love Carol & Vince

  3. Wow Chacha! That sounds like an unbelievable journey... I will be sure to remember the tip about not flying Delta! I'm getting ready to go to college myself; I move in on the 26th. SO nervous and excited at the same time! Anyway, congrats on being back in the states and at MIT. And I'm glad you got to keep your balsamic vinegar! :)